Concealed Carry

Madison County Sheriff's Office

With the passing of House Bill 40, qualified Kentucky residents are allowed to conceal and carry deadly weapons as of October 1, 1996.

The Kentucky State Police are in-charge of issuing a Concealed Carry Permit to carry a Concealed Deadly Weapon.  Our job is to take an application for a permit from a Madison County resident and verify his/her completion certificate of the required training from a qualified training instructor along with the payment of necessary fees and take a photograph of the applicant and forward that information to the Kentucky State Police. Then in approximately 3-5 weeks when the Kentucky State Police issue a permit they notify the applicant via mail and the applicant can pick-up his/her permit in our office during normal business hours (8:00am-4:30pm M-F).

As of July 12, 2006, in accordance with House Bill 290 and the changes it made to KRS 237.110, anyone applying for a CCDW license or renewal must be a citizen of the United States. Applicants who are not US citizens will need to fill out and sign an Immigration Status Affidavit declaring their CCDW eligibility, which will be attached to the application.

Another change that was made to KRS 237.110 states that of the $60 application fee, $40 of it must be a check or money order made payable to Kentucky State Treasurer, and any application submitted to the KSP that does not have the $40 fee with it will be returned unprocessed. The remaining $20, (of the $60 application fee), can be cash, check or money order made out to the Madison County Sheriff’s Office.

For more on House Bill 290, click the following link:

What Credentials Do You Need To Bring:
• State of Kentucky Drivers License or Official Photo ID and Proof of Kentucky Residency
• Training Certificate Original plus copy (A copy can be made at the Sheriff’s Office)
• Separate Photo for the Application (A photo can be taken at the Sheriff’s Office)

If you decide to bring in your own photo:
It must be a 4 x 3 1//2 or a 4 x 5 shoulder shot, A passport photo is not acceptable.
The applicant may not wear a hat in the photo or tinted eyeglasses


CCDW Application Fee



Application Fee (check or money order made payable to Kentucky State Treasurer)



Application Fee (cash, check or money order to the Madison County Sheriff’s Office)

$ 5.00


Photo (If needed)

As of March 9, 2001, we can not accept a training course certificate from the Department of Fish and Wildlife (Firearms Safety and Hunter Education Course) and federal agencies because neither is providing training in Kentucky firearm laws (Use of Force, Access, etc.) which are required. This also includes the military DD-214, which will NOT be accepted.

For more information and to obtain a listing of Certified Instructors in your County, go to DOCJT’s
“Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapons License Training” web page.

For more information, visit the Kentucky State Police web site:

Change of Personal Information
If you need to change personal information such as an address change you can print out THIS FORM and mail it to our Office and we will forward that information to the Kentucky State Police. There is no charge to submit a change of personal information.
The Kentucky State Police will use the same picture from your current permit and produce a new card with the changed information on it.
They will send the card to us and send you a Flash Pak when it is done indicating you can pick up your new card at our Office.
Please bring your old card along.

CCDW Steps for Applicants License

Madison County Sheriff Tip Line. Phone: 859-624-4797

The Tip Line is designed to allow individuals to provide us with tips on criminal activity that is happening in the community. You can remain anonymous if you choose to do so. You are not required to provide your name, business name or other contact information. Call 859-624-4797 

Address List

Info List

Skip to content